Friday, February 16, 2007
The Unwitting Tourist (I hate the idea of being the ugly tourist)
Friday, February 16, 2007
Friday Five: Tourist Edition
reverendmother here... It seems like this topic has been done before, but I can't find it in the archives, so......
I am downtown on retreat this week. Most of the retreatants are from out of town, so I get to experience this place through the eyes of visitors. So in the spirit of tourism:
1. What is one place you make sure to take out-of-town guests when they visit? (you can be vague to preserve your anonymity if you like) I am still new here, but Florence and the Shoals area is so beautiful with the river. So here is where I would take any of your rev gals who come to visit me. Definitely I would take you to: Tuscumbia is the birthplace of "America’s First Lady of Courage," Helen Keller’s Birthplace:, After that I would take you for lunch to Marriott' Shoals Hotel & Spa We would have lunch(the restaurant is in the round and gives a great view of the river and the area.) and then go to the spa for a relaxing afternoon of being ministered to,(iknow all you rev gals want it and need it.) The next day we would take on a boat ride on the Tennessee River with a picnic lunch. After that if you want to do anything else, I would take you, but not force you to do anything. If you have kids. I would take them for the boat ride and to the Children’s Museum of the Shoals which is next a great kid's park. And the dad's can go golfing or fishing. We will hire a baby sitter and go back to the spa or the Y to the Y to the sauna and hot tub. You get the idea, some fun, some relaxation and good food.
2. When visiting another city or town, do you try to cram as much in as possible, or take it slow and easy? This depends on where I am going and what all there is to do, andif the kids are with me. Naps are a must or you get fussy wussy kids.
3. When traveling, where are we most likely to find you: strolling through a museum, checking out the local shopping, or Probably all that, plus hiking, meeting the people, and eating at good resturaunts.?
4. Do you like organized tours and/or carefully planned itineraries, or would you rather strike out and just see what happens? I have done both, again it depends on where I am going or if I am visiting someone who can show me the places and local bests.
5. After an extended trip, what do you find yourself craving most about home? MY BED,My family if I have traveled without them.
Bonus question: Where do I want to be right now for a vacation? answer? Paradise, a warm beach!