Friday, October 06, 2006

Voting: Our Civic Duty


budget cuts

Friday Five: Civic Duties

It's that season of the year when lawn signs are sprouting as surely as flowers in the spring; elections are just around the corner. And so today we bring you a Civic Duty Friday Five.

1) How old were you when you voted for the first time? 18, they had changed the legal age to 18 from 21, which gave me the right to vote.

2) What was the contest at the top of the ballot? How should I know? It was 1972, I can't ever remember yesterday. I am guessing it was the Presidential election.

3) Can you walk to your polling place? I have moved don't know where it is now, I have got to find out. But before yes.

4) Have you ever run for public office? No. Gave it some thought, but did not want my dirty laundry aired, nor every little thing I said or did twisted or owe anybody. I used to say as a child, "I am going to be the First Woman President of the USA." I quickly grew up.

5) Have you run for office in a club or school or on a board? Yep. HS. college. Sorority. Jaycees, and Kiwanis. and a couple of the boards I have served. But I have also been elected without even being given a chance to say yea or nay.

What no bonus?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Abi, what sorority were you in? Or maybe I should save that for another Friday Five! (I was a Theta.)

The Vicar of Hogsmeade said...

I love the bonus cartoon. I want one that says I vote for retired NFL players.