Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Unspoken prayers:

SOUL AND SURPRISE
I asked for strength,
that I might achieve greatness. I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey. I asked for health, that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things. I asked for riches, that I might be happy.
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.
I asked for power,
that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness,
that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life.
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for
But everything I hoped for. Almost despite myself, My unspoken prayers were answered.
I am among all men, Most richly blessed. - Rabindranath Tagore

From
A Canopy of Stars: Some Reflections for the Journey by Fr Christopher Gleeson SJ [David Lovell Publishing 2003]

Thought for the Day from Daily Prayer by Church Resources

1 comment:

Iris Godfrey said...

Hi Rev Abi,

Glad you are up and blogging frequently again. I don't often comment, but I read most days -- quickly as I move. You bless me.

I trust you are enjoying your new parrish. I am sure they are enjoying you.

I pray for you and your family. I too have some adopted children (although I think all of yours may be -- I have two natural born and two adopted). Just a bit of sister kinship.

Blessings,
Iris