Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Refuge in the Storm




"Because storm clouds often appear well before a storm, we should take time in prayer to scan the horizon of the day for telltale signs of difficulty. If we sense a storm is developing we can find sanctuary with our Refuge. "

Isaiah 25:4 You have been a refuge for the poor a refuge in his distress a helter from the storm and a shade from the heat.

Years ago I bought one of those flip calendars with 365 calligraphic rederings of the Names of God by Timothy R. Botts. It was on sale. But time and time again I have turned to it, to read what name was the name that day. This was one of my calendars that was unpacked so I put it in my office, and turn to the name for that day. This was yesterday's name and scripture. I found it encouraging in the midst of the storms of this move and the heat that surrounds us all.

How many times did the Psalmist refer to God as a refuge? Over and over. Psalms 46:1 tells us this: God [is] our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. And what of God as our shade or shadow? Psalms 36:7 says this: How excellent [is] thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings.

God thanks for being my refuge and strength, a very present help in this time of stress. And I thank you God for your loving kindness, and we do put our trust under the shadow of your wings. Thank you God. You are a sanctuary. And thank you for Martha, who read my last post and prayed for us. And thank you for others who are doing the same.

2 comments:

Gary Wood said...

Won't it be great when there will be no more storms and we are weary no more.

Unknown said...

Yes it will Gary, yes it will. And I know thank God that we are promised that.