Sunday, May 14, 2006

God Bless the Mothers

It is the Sunday that has been set aside to celebrate Mother's day. Today I did not preach about Mothers, rather we honored, prayed for, and blessed our moms. We also sang Faith of our Mothers, instead of Faith of our Fathers (see below).

I have not always enjoyed Mother's Day. My mom and I have had love/hate affair for a long time. Thank God a lot of that is healed. There are a lot of mother/child relationships that are wounded for various reasons whether by abuse, addiction, absence, neglect, alcoholism, perfectionism, to name a few.

I was single a long time and just could not stand that "family, couple" focus in the church. Then after I was married, I could not conceive even through the miracle of Invitro fertalization; I really hated Mother's Day then. I have heard some really bad sermons on Mother's day. I think the greeting card and floral industry have taken over Mother's day, when it was not meant to be so commercialized. I think it is time we take it back. I am a mother now of three, and it has changed my mind about my mom, and about mothers in general. So God bless the mothers. Sue has posted a beautiful prayer at RevGalBlogPals for today that is meaningful for Mother's day, go check it out.

Here is the hymn Faith of our Mothers


Faith of Our Mothers
Faith of our mothers! living still
In spite of dungeon, fire, and sword;
O how our hearts beat high with joy
Whene'er we hear that glorious word!
Faith of our Mothers, holy faith!
We will be true to thee till death.
Our mothers, chained in prisons dark,
Were still in heart and conscience free.
How sweet would be their children's fate
If they, like them could die for thee!
Faith of our mothers! Holy faith!
We will be true to Thee till death!
Faith of our Mothers we will love
Both friend and foe in all our strife;
And preach Thee, too, as love knows how
By kindly words and virtuous life
Faith of our Mothers! holy faith!
We will be true to thee till death.
Words by Frederick W. Faber, 1849
Music by Henri F. Hemy, 1864;
adapted by James G. Walton, 1874
page 710 of the United Methodist Hymnal
Thanks Mom for your faith that has so inspired and encouraged me!

No comments: