Saturday, September 01, 2007

A Prayer for Labor Day Weekend



Gracious heavenly Father/Mother
as the United States pauses to contemplate the freedom to work and the employment opportunities that are available to us, may we never lose sight of the fact that it is only because of your grace and favor that we are able to work. Thank you, Lord, for the blessings of employment and work that I have had in the past and at present. May all that I do at work give glory to you and your precious name. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, whom I love and serve. Amen.
Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod


Painting of Rosie the Riveter from Encarta


>

I chose this painting of Rosie because it showed her in action welding something. My father was a welder/mechanic, and I wanted to honor him this weekend too. I chose this other art work to honor my dad. I am grateful for his hard work that provided our needs as a family, and made it possible for me to get the education I have gotten. I wanted to honor the women who broken into a man's world as the Rosies of their time, and opened the door for me and other women to step through that door. I wanted to honor all the laborers who work or worked so hard on their jobs. I labor, but my labor is not the physical kind like theirs. I saw how it wore my father down. Artwork Produced by the United States War Production Board in 1942

God we pray for all laborers everywhere. Help us to be mindful that in some places many are not free but slave laborers, or are children or women working in awful conditions getting paid neither nothing. Help us to be mindful of the people crossing their borders to come to our country for a new life, better wages and better conditions, but are unable to obtain legal documents to do so. God help us to do the right thing. God we pray for the day when all laborers are set free by you.

1 comment:

RevDrKate said...

Thanks for this. My dad was a sheet metal worker and welder too, a hard way to earn a living! God to honor and remember those folks.