Saturday, September 08, 2007

Friday Five on Saturday on Overcoming


Sally over at revgalblogpals says: "I am preparing this Friday 5 just before I take Chris into hospital for a cardioversion, right now we are all a little apprehensive. But this whole thing has got me thinking, so many of us are overcomers in one way or anoither, so many have amazing stories to tell of God's faithfulness in adversity."


And so I bring you this Friday 5;
1.Have you experienced God's faithfulness at a difficult time? Tell as much or as little as you like... Yes and no, not right now, some other time. Its too late and I won't make much sense. Suffice it to say, I have had my share of hard times, who hasn't, but God has been faithful.
2. Have you experienced a dark night of the soul, if so what brought you through? Yes, God, friends, family, the church, Spiritual Guide, Marriage and Family Therapist Supervisor, Prayer and more prayer.
3. Share a Bible verse, song, poem that has brought you comfort? Does it have to be one? My favorite hymn to sing when I am going through a tough time, is "Great is Thy Faithfulness" .
4. Is "why suffering" a valid question? It sure is, and if it isn't our God is too small as far as I am concerned. If I can't ask why suffering, I don't care, I don't love, I am too small, and I am in denial.
5. And on a lighter note- you have reached the end of a dark and difficult time- how are you going to celebrate? A good meal, gratitude, maybe a party of sorts, tell everybody.


Bonus- anything you wish to add....
If you have not read Dark Night of the Soul, by St. John of the Cross, you can read it here at Chritian Classics Etheral Library The "dark night" of St. Paul of the Cross in the 18th century lasted 45 years; he ultimately recovered. Mother Teresa of Calcutta, according to letters released in 2007, "may be the most extensive such case on record", lasting from 1948 till her death in 1997, with only brief interludes . St. Thérèse of Lisieux, the 19th-century French Carmelite underwent a similar experience, centering on doubts about the afterlife. She reportedly told her fellow nuns: "If you only knew what darkness I am plunged into." St. Theresa of Avila experienced her own dark night of the soul and Thomas Merton.
And in other quarters, these all experienced a dark night of the soul. Martin Luther, Martin Luther King Jr., John Wesley, C.S. Lewis, Martin E. Marty, and Frederick Buechner, the list goes on.

Sorry if this has been a little heavy I will try to lighten up soon!!! Sally I personally think this is a very good Friday Five.

1 comment:

Processing Counselor said...

Not so heavy and some good reading resources.
What's that picture in your header? It looks like two bears under a tree (it's so little.)