Saturday, March 17, 2007

Happy St. Patty's Day


In honor of St. Patty's Day I am putting up the thought for the day that is a saying from St. Patrick, himself, or at least attributed to him. The prayer is also from him also. Remember to wear some green today.

Here is the thought for the day,
God grant me strength to direct me,
Power to sustain me,
Wisdom to guide me,
Vision to light my way,
-St. Patrick [adapted]
The scripture for the day; Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.

Prayer for the day,
May the Strength of God guide us.
May the Power of God preserve us.
May the Wisdom of God instruct us.
May the Hand of God protect us.
May the Way of God direct us.
May the Shield of God defend us.
May the Angels of God guard us.
- Against the snares of the evil one.

May Christ be with us!
May Christ be before us!
May Christ be in us,
Christ be over all!

May Thy Grace, Lord,
Always be ours,
This day, O Lord, and forevermore. Amen. (Prayer for the faithful by Saint Patrick.)


The Song Be Thou My Vision



The words are attributed to Dallan Forgaill, 8th Century (Rob tu mo bhoile, a Comdi cride); translated from ancient Irish to English by Mary E. Byrne, in "Eriú," Journal of the School of Irish Learning, 1905, and versed by Eleanor H. Hull, 1912, alt. Here are the words

The tune is called "Slane" and is of Irish folk origin. Slane Hill is about ten miles from Tara in County Meath. It was on Slane Hill around 433 AD that St. Patrick defied a royal edict by lighting candles on Easter Eve. High King Logaire of Tara had decreed that no one could light a fire before Logaire began the pagan spring festival by lighting a fire on Tara Hill. Logaire was so impressed by Patrick’s devotion that, despite his defiance (or perhaps because of it), he let him continue his missionary work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Abi - Your prayer is an adaption of the "Breast Plate of St. Patrick." I can never encounter this prayer without thinking of a young Irish-American captain named Kevin who was a member of our staff in March 2003. Our unit was just south of the Iraqi border and we were in the last stages of preparation for combat. I usually offered a prayer at the evening staff call. On St. Patrick's Day, however, Kevin came to me and asked me if he could offer the prayer that evening instead. I was happy to oblige. It was the words of "St. Patrick's Breast Plate" that he offered that evening and I think we were all moved by his prayer. In just a few days, we would cross into Iraq. Kevin would have something of a health crisis occur during our first days of combat and I wound up praying for him as he prayed for me. (Fortunately, his story had a happy ending.)

Thanks for reminding me of this significant event in my life.