Friday, April 14, 2006

Today is Good Friday

But is it really good? Whoever came up with that name for today? Follow this link to read Why is it called Good Friday? by Ken Collins. The only thing I can think of is what makes it good is what Jesus did for us by dying on the cross. But I think it is more a day of sadness, that it all came to this, that this was the only way. I think it is a day to grieve our sins, grieve our loss, grieve our broken relationships. I invite you to read the following don’t forget to grieve which leads to this post wonderful reflection on Good Friday at Bob Hyatt's Blog. It was an article he wrote a couple years ago and reposted. Phil and Dan McCredden picked it up on their blog SignPosts and added their comments. Very thoughtful and meaningful. It is a reminder that not all was good on that Good Friday, long ago. It goes against the grain of "Optimistic-Positive theology" that sometimes shows up in our sermons and worship services. It reminds us that we can't get to Easter Sunday without going through Good Friday. Then there is this post Smile - Its Good Friday that has some similar yet troubling thoughts on it. I don't think that Good Friday was meant to alone, as this guy, Andrew Hamilton - ‘Hamo’ to my friends, did. I think yes some time alone is good, but time spent in community is important too.

No comments: