Wednesday, January 31, 2007

quirky, who me quirky?

Certain flaws are necessary for the whole.
It would seem strange if old friends lacked certain quirks.

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
08/28/1749 - 03/22/1832
German poet

from Quotes

Quirk is defined as a : an abrupt twist or curve b : a peculiar trait.
Quirky is defined as an adjective: informal terms; strikingly unconventional.

Okay so far they are right on.
I saw this quote and it made me think of a conversation I had yesterday with one of the church members. We were discussing church members and spiritual maturity. She said that alot of church members had problems with different preachers' quirks, and would end up not liking the preacher because of them. She felt it was because of their lack of spiritual maturity. She felt those with spiritual maturity were more able to accept the preacher for being human. She also said that she would probably get to know my quirks too. I said oh yes I do have them if you haven't found them already. I have them like everybody else. I will disappoint you, but if you have learned to accept your humanness, then you will be able to accept mine.

I think it is a lack of spiritual maturity, but also it is a matter of emotional maturity. I think it is both. The context in which this was discussed was the level of spiritual maturity in this church. She and her husband are looking for more depth and she felt like this church was not there. She said that at one time it was growing spiritually and had some very spiritual people, but those are dead or have moved away. Some of the preachers they have had were less than ethical, and some were lazy, not all. I don't think this church is totally full of immature people, but I do feel they have lost their first love. And I think that some of them who are spiritual don't recognized it in themselves.

But it is true I have quirks like everybody else. And members of my church have quirks. But as the saying goes "God don't make no junk", and quirks are part of that equation too. My quirks are part of my personality that just like my weakness are part of who God created me to be. God can use my quirks to help others to know his love, and to remind me of his love.

2 comments:

MicahGirl said...

One of the things I appreciate about growing more mature is that I have decided to just be myself no matter where I am. I am all I have to be! So in spite of the fact that I never have exactly "fit in" anywhere, I know that that's okay.

Reverend Dona Quixote said...

Hey Rev Abi, thanks for dropping in at my place yesterday. Sounds like your life has been verrrrry
interrrresting.

Last Sunday I told one of my churches that they were like one of those tumbler type rock pollishers, the kind one of your kids might have. First you put in water [baptism, grace] and then you put in sand [quirks, irritants, challenges] and then you add in the rocks [living stones of a temple not made with human hands a la 1 Peter], mix together and agitate often and long.

When the time is right, the Maker looks inside and sees what She has.
Some of the rocks don't change much, some reveal a beauty that couldn't be seen at first ... and in others you find something you may have never known was there ...