Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday after Easter Sunday

"And he departed from our sight that we might return to our heart, and there find Him. For He departed, and behold, He is here."-- St. Augustine

This quote of St. Augustine's makes me think about how has Jesus' death and resurrection made it possible for us to return to our hearts? How had we left our hearts in the first place? But I love that in our return we find Jesus there. Jesus is here in our hearts. I believe that is one of the wonders that we are struck with on Easter Sunday that Jesus is here in our hearts to return too.

I looked out over the 11 o'clock crowd that attended the traditional service as I stood at the lecturn. I realized at that moment, that most of the regulars had come to early service and the C and C service. I started praying then for those in the worship, that somehow someway they would experience Jesus this Easter Morning. Perhaps unconsciously those that we call the C and E only attenders keep coming back for those Sundays to find a way back if ever so briefly to that place in their own heart where Jesus is. Perhaps even we regular attenders are there for the same reason.

I must admit I started the Sunday in a ho hum mood, and didn't quite feel any spark in the early service. I wasn't up front leading worship or preaching, I was sitting back in the back as an attendee. I couldn't really see anything being as short as I am. But listening to Joe one of the other associates talk to the kids about God's love, started a warmth within me that grew as the morning went on.

I am exhausted today, yet happy. I enjoyed my own kids enjoying Easter. I enjoyed celebrating my husband's birthday with Easter. And I enjoyed having returned to Jesus in my heart.

No comments: