Friday, September 29, 2006

Friday Five: Groups

Friday Five: Groups
From the RevGalBlogPals

Reverendmother here... Last night was the second meeting of the Night Owls, a new women's circle at the church I serve. It's a nice group--we're getting to know one another and figuring out the format and flow of the evenings.And speaking of groups..

.1. Tell us about any group(s) you currently belong to. (e.g. book club, knitting circle, walking buddies, etc.) I currently belong to Weight Watchers. A Pastor's Coffee group.

2. Do you feel energized or drained by being in a group situation? If the answer is "it depends," on what does it depend? I really enjoy groups, am energized by them.

3. Is there a role you naturally find yourself playing in group situations? That is, do you naturally fall into the leader role, or the one who always makes sure the new person feels welcome, or the quiet one who sits back and lets others shine, or the host? I am without fail made the leader in group situations, even if I sit back and try not to. But I have also led a lot of groups of various types.

4. Handshakes vs. hugs: discuss.
I like handshakes initially, will hug if offered, but prefer to wait til I know you. I think when so many people have been abused by hugs, or touches, you have to be aware of that, not everyone wants or is ready for a hug. They may grow into it. A good handshake goes a long way.

5. Ice breakers: a playful way to build community in a lighthearted manner, or a complete and utter hell of forced fun and awkwardness? You know it depends on the group. I often have found them to be space makers, and time users. I really don't like to be on the other end of them, but will do them. Sometimes they can be helpful if people don't know each other.

Bonus: If you answered "playful and lighthearted," share your favorite ice breaker.

No comments: