Friday, September 01, 2006

"Abi Andretti"

Friday Five: life in the fast lane
from the RevGalBlogPals

Big gentle hugs, soft pillows and heating pads to Will Smama, our resident matriarch and preacher/blogger/procrastinator who was involved in a bit of a fender-bender this week. We're very grateful she's OK, just a little shaken up...In lieu of flowers, I send this Friday Five out to her. Let's all be careful on those roadways.

1. Driving: an enjoyable way to clear the mind? a means to an end? a chance to be quiet with one's thoughts? a necessary evil? the downfall of our planet and its fossil fuels? Discuss. All the above. I have driven for the purpose of clearing my mind. Normally it is a way of getting to where ever I am going. I don't think it quietens my thoughts as much as it is the time I can actually hear my thoughts, especially when the kids are not with me. Necessary? MMMM I think we have made it seem like it is necessary, especially here in the US of A. Evil? mmm in the wrong hands. You know I am not a scientist so I really can't say alot about it. But I do think that there is a combination of usage of fuels, etc that leads to pollution and enviromental problems. I am not sure we have kept our part of the bargain that we are to be good stewards.

2. Do you drive the speed limit? A little faster? Slower? Have you ever gotten a ticket? Again it is all the above depending on where I am, weather and road conditions, traffic, children, residential, open space. And yes I have had more than one speed ticket. Before I married Bob, I would say I was a true speed demon with a heavy foot, and also drove vehicles that were able to go pretty fast. But since marrying Bob I have slowed down, and driven the speed limit more often than not. I at one time wanted to be a race car driver. Bob will even call me "Abi Andretti" sometimes.

3. Do you take public transportation? When? What's your opinion of the experience? What's that? I have taken it when I have gone to bigger cities, when I was in college, and had no vehicle. I like it, but not sure I would want to do it everyday. I am too use to having a car.

4. Complete this sentence: _Alabama, Georgia and Florida_ have the worst drivers I've ever experienced.

5. According to the Census Bureau, reverendmother's fair city has the 6th longest average commute in the United States at 29 minutes each way. How does your personal commute rate? I walk to the church. But drive to meetings, hospitals all within 10 to 15 minutes. That was different than the last couple years when Bob drove 80 miles one way, I drove 30 miles to get to the next town that had day care, hospital, Wal Mart, etc. Then I had to drive an hour to a half hour to visit people in the hospital, and sometimes more.

Bonus for the brutally honest: It has been said, and the MythBusters have confirmed, that cell phones can impede driving ability almost as much as drinking. Do you talk on a cell phone while driving? Not if I can help it, I have enough distractions while driving with the kids. I can't drive and talk on the phone, I have learned I have to concentrate. But I will talk on the phone if necessary. Cell phones and driving

Those of you who do not drive, or who do not drive regularly, may do whatever you wish with this F5--and you do so with my everlasting envy.

2 comments:

Sally said...

Oh I wish I didn't drive regularly- thanks for this- and I can relate to the speed thing... got to get back into the F5's soon

Sally said...

Oh I wish I didn't drive regularly- thanks for this- and I can relate to the speed thing... got to get back into the F5's soon