Friday, April 11, 2008

Geese flying back north and a poem


Yesterday, Bob and I were standing in the parking lot of the church discussing something. I looked up and saw not one but two v shaped formations of geese flying back North. What a beautiful sight. We paused to watch them fly on north. Bob then said, Summer is coming. That night what did the weather channel predict? Yes, more cold weather! And where were our winter coats and clothes? Packed away. We will be unpacking them today.


So as the birds fly back north we will be going Northeast for the kids' spring break to Banner Elk, North Carolina. I will be not blogging most of the week as there is not internet connection where we will be staying, there is in the next town. So if I have time, I'll stop by from time to time.
A poem I found while searching for pics of geese flying. Add yours as well if you like.
Then I saw the wild geese flying
In fair formation to their bases in Inchicore
And I knew that these wings would outwear the wings of war
And a man’s simple thoughts outlive the day’s loud lying.
Don’t fear, don’t fear, I said to my soul.
The Bedlam of Time is an empty bucket rattled,
‘Tis you who will say in the end who best battles.
Only they who fly home to God have flown at all.

BEYOND THE HEADLINES Patrick Kavanagh, Dublin 1943

No comments: