Thursday, October 11, 2007

Tom Long continued

Tom Long is professor of preaching at Chandler Seminary of the Emory University in Atlanta. He is Presb. He has written many books on preaching. He has been one of the featured preachers at the Festival of Homiletics many times. I have to say he was great. The convocation was great. The Bishop preached on Monday night and was the most relaxed he has ever been with us. He issued the challenge and yet gave us hope as well. What a difference. He also had a panel discuss his sermon. And he even accepted what they had to say, both positively and negatively.
Tom was awesome in preaching and in teaching. I like that he is willing to learn new things. He is working on what to do that this new generation is not listening to narrative preaching. He talked about some of things he has been thinking and putting together. I was glad he did it.
He also talked about those in the pews who are listening to us. He talked about how neo-gnosticism has entered into our church members' thinking. Of course he is writing a new book as well and some of what he talked about is part of his new book.
Camp Sumatanga was as beautiful as ever. I really enjoyed being there. I enjoyed being with my friends and peers. I have a lot to think about in terms of preaching.

1 comment:

Diane M. Roth said...

makes me want to read more of him and to go hear him speak