Friday, May 25, 2007

Friday Five

Reverend Mother says over at revgalblogpals; as many of you know, I have been experimenting with some severely curtailed Internet usage. I realized that I had gotten into some bad habits, which got me thinking about habits in general. I understand that a habits/random facts meme has already been going around. In the hopes that it hasn't hit too many of us yet, be as lighthearted or as serious as you'd like with the following:

1. Have you ever successfully quit a bad habit, or gotten a good habit established? Tell us about how you did it. When I was a little girl, I sucked my thumb for a very long time. Who knows if I was insecure or why, but I did. My parents tried all the favored treatments, you know, pepper, some kind of liquid, shame, pulling the thumb out of my mouth, etc. Those did not work. To tell you the truth, I don't know how I stopped, I just remember I stopped. And that I didn't need it anymore or want it. It was very freeing. Now if I could just get that to work for some of my other bad habits.....

2. "If only there were a 12-step program for _________________!" I don't know, because it seems like there is a 12-step program for just about every addiction there is. Maybe buying too many books.

3. Share one of your healthy "obsessions" with us. Buying books.

4. Share the habit of a spouse, friend or loved one that drives you C-R-A-Z-Y.
Bob, not throwing away his popcicle sticks or ice cream wrappers or candy wrappers; that I find the next day, and have to throw away before the kids find them.

5. "I'd love to get into the habit of ___________________."
Walking, daily prayer, bible reading, meditation....

Bonus: What is one small action you might take immediately to make #5 a reality?
Go for a walk today...
clear aside an area that is a sanctuary for prayer, meditation and bible reading.

Bonus 2: Try it, and let us know how it goes in a future post! Okay

7 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

I go back and forth on whether buying books is a healthy obsession or not. Reading, yes. And buying... sometimes. But, there should be a group for biblioholics, right?

Sally said...

Hi from a fellow book adict and oddly I was alson a thumb sucker. I stopped inmy teens- but not sure why- as a result I have a slight over-bite, but such is life, and I am not bothered by it, it is a part of me....

Gannet Girl said...

Books seem to be the most commom obsession among us.

Iris said...

Yeah, you don't see too many 17 year olds going around sucking their thumbs!

Lori said...

I am not agreeing with this books being an obsession thing.

Books are required food for the soul. Without books I would have no reason to go to bed at night.

That popsicle, ice cream/candy wrapper thing.....I feel your GRRRRR

1-4 Grace said...

How about a 12 step program for buying books with numbers on them?
:)~
So fun to goet to know you and spend a little tiem with you!

Melissa said...

oooh....I definitely hear you on the books....