Friday, September 22, 2006

Black and blue all over

Friday Five: Boo boo alert
Song bird writes: After a tumble in a parking lot the other day, I'm sporting a lovely abrasion on my leg--so attractive. It's the same leg I hurt when I fell off the same pair of sandals on the same sort of uneven pavement in Edinburgh last month. Will I ever learn to wear less dangerous shoes and/or pay attention to where I am going? As I drove home to take care of it I called my husband and said, "Boo boo alert!"


Here is our Friday Five on that subject.
1) Are you a baby about small injuries? No, I am not. I grew up in a neighborhood of mostly boys, if I acted like a baby, I would have been made fun of further. I do have a daughter who is though, and it has to do with growing up in the orphanage, where no hurt was paid attention to. She can really get hurt and act like nothing happens. She got hit in the head with a baseball last year while playing baseball, acted like it didn't even hurt, even told us it didn't. But if she has a little scratch we have got to band aid it, kiss it, put medicine on it, and make a big deal. We are trying to teach her the difference, with very little change.
2) What's the silliest way you have ever hurt yourself? Now you are talking about an everyday occurrence for me. If it is to be run into, tripped over, slid down, banged, I am going to do it. The only thing I know to do is to laugh at myself. I have bruises from head to toe. I got to think on this silly thing. Okay here it is, if you want to call it silly. A friend and I had gone to Disney World right after it opened up. The lines were awful, the waits were long, too long. We were going to one of the rides, and they had opened up a new line. So my friend and I decided to hustle it over to the new line. My friend was taller than me and went over the chains with no problem. I on the other hand being short, got caught in the chain, twisted my leg, and fell. It was a really pretty site. The workers saw it and laughed with everybody. Didn't even suggest I go to the first aid place. Did that stop me, no it didn't. I had to have lunch with the Princesses, and have my picture made with Mickey.
3) Who took care of your boo-boos when you were a child? Both parents did whenever they were available. My mom was a R. N. so she did most of the care. Loved to put that old mecurechrome on the scrapes, so that I always had these pink spots and stripes on my body.


4) Are you a good nurse when others have boo-boos? Yep pretty good, when I want to. I like to turn them over to my husband the PA, and then remind them to go see their regular Doc or the ER or Doc in the Box. But blood and guts is not a problem.
5) What's the worst accidental injury you've suffered? Did it require a trip to the Emergency Room? I really haven't had a worst accidental injury. I have been to the ER for 2 car wrecks, nothing broken, mainly whiplash and muscle damage. But I did fall down a waterfall, getting my foot stuck inbetween 2 rocks, that led to a ER visit. Nothing broken, jsut a painfully twisted ankle.



You are welcome to play too. And try to stay safe out there, okay? Beware the frumious Bandersnatch and the uneven curbing of the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you win the best illustrations!