Friday, December 08, 2006
Fa-la-la-la-la, La Friday Five from revgalblogpals
Reverendmother here... those of you who read my blog know I have a love-hate relationship with the 24/7 Christmas music we're subjected treated to in stores and radio (in the U.S. at least). It gets too sentimentally sticky-sweet sometimes, yet I find myself unable to resist it. Nothing says "it's Christmas" to me like John Denver and Rolf the Dog singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas." So...
1. A favorite 'secular' Christmas song. My initial thought. "Grandma got run over by a Reindeer." Wait, you didn't say 'redneck', you said "secular", oh my so many to choose from, "Winter Wonderland."
2. Christmas song that chokes you up (maybe even in spite of yourself--the cheesier the better) "White Christmas" I guess its because of the movie, and cause I grew up in Fla. with no snow ever. Ice yes, snow no. Or "I'll be Home for Christmas" for all the times I was on-call and couldn't go home for Christmas and then decided I was home, my home.
3. Christmas song that makes you want to stuff your ears with chestnuts roasted on an open fire. "Oh Christmas Tree o christmas Tree" or "The Chipmunk Song" or Christmas Shoes
4. The Twelve Days of Christmas: is there *any* redeeming value to that song? Discuss. None, what-so-ever, except it makes for a pretty Christmas light display at the Calloway Gardens. Although I have heard it rumored that the Twelve Days of Christnas has to do with a way of learning the catechism while things were pretty rotten in England for the Catholics.
5. A favorite Christmas album, Anything by Mannheim Steamroller or George Winston
Bonus Favorite Silly Christmas Song I'm Getting Nuttin' For Christmas or Grandma Got Ran Over By a Reindeer or Snoopy and the RedBaron, I Want a Hippapottumus for Christmas, All I want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth, Little St. Nick, Santa Baby
Secular Spiritual Christmas Song: Do They Know It's Christmas Time, My Grown Up Christmas List, 7 O'clock News/Silent Night, Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)
Romantic Christmas Song: Please come Home for Christmas, All I Want For Christmas Is You, Merry Christmas Darling,
Country Christmas Songs Christmas in Dixie, Pretty Paper
Elvis Christmas Songs Blue Christmas(See I'll be home for Christmas), If Every Day was Like Christmas