Monday, August 06, 2007

Were having a heat wave....

Today the weather channel, and my google weather bar are flashing warnings about a major heat wave in our area. I didn't know we were ever out of one. But this one is apparently worse.

...A HEAT WAVE COULD BECOME MORE DANGEROUS DURING THE NEXT FEW DAYS...

HIGH TEMPERATURES WILL REACH NEAR OR AROUND 100 DEGREES EACH AFTERNOON THROUGH FRIDAY. SOME LOCATIONS MAY REACH TRIPLE DIGIT TEMPERATURES...ESPECIALLY ON WEDNESDAY AND THURSDAY. WITH HUMIDITY ADDED IN...HEAT INDEX VALUES WILL RANGE FROM 104 TO 108...POSSIBLY EXCEEDING DANGEROUS LEVELS AROUND 110 DEGREES. ANOTHER CONTRIBUTING HEAT STRESS FACTOR WILL BE LIMITED NIGHTTIME RECOVERY COOLING EACH NIGHT...WITH LOWS ONLY IN THE LOWER TO MIDDLE 70S...ESPECIALLY IN URBAN AREAS.

Well we live in an Urban area.

PROTECT YOURSELF AGAINST THE HEAT BY LIMITING OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES. SLOW DOWN IF YOU MUST BE OUTSIDE...AND TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS WHICH INCLUDE PLENTY OF WATER.

TARGET GROUPS ARE ATHLETES...OUTDOOR LABORERS...THE ELDERLY...AND YOUNG CHILDREN. HOWEVER...ANYONE CAN BE AFFLICTED BY HEAT EXHAUSTION.

BE AWARE OF SIGNS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION... AND IF YOU FEEL ANY SYMPTOMS...STOP IMMEDIATELY AND FIND A COOL PLACE TO REST. ALSO REMEMBER TO PROVIDE EXTRA WATER AND A SHADY PLACE FOR PETS.

I am glad they added that part about pets. I sent my pet (Hubby) out to mow the yard this morning since this warning was made. I didn't want him to suffer heat exhaustion. I have a church member who didn't pay attention to the heat nor the symptoms and became very sick. He since has had a lot of problems, and can't do the kind of work he like to do. So please pay attention and be careful out there. I guess if the kids go out at all it will be to play in the pool. I guess our pets will mainly be staying inside. I guess I'll do my walking early in the morning or at the gym.

So a word of advise, be careful out there if you go out at all.

3 comments:

Theresa Coleman said...

We're in the midst of it here, too.
Miserable -- the air conditioning doesn't really keep up upstairs and going outside to the store is miserable.

We also have a red smog alert going on, so people can't breathe, either.

Miserable.

Terri said...

The weather in the midwest (Chicago) area is not so bad. Although we have had summers like that - triple digit and high humidity. I can take a fair amount of heat. Don't really like the humidity. And really hate the way the heat wave ends, usually with thunderstorms and tornados. So. I watch the weather a lot. Just in case.

Thanks for the warning.

In case it wanders up my way.

(I'm not being sarcastic, in case this written word gets misunderstood), I mean it)...

Well, 'cuz our hot weather comes up from the south...

Diane M. Roth said...

heat wave... we're having a drought...