Thursday, March 30, 2006

The title of this Blog


Want to know where the Vicar of Wadley title came from? Well, you are probably right. The BBC comedy, Vicar of Dibley was the inspiration. BBC - Comedy - Guide - The Vicar Of Dibley

I loved the show when it was on in 1994 and following.

A boisterous female minister comes to serve in an eccentricly conservative small town's church. If you recall the plot the older vicar dies, and what the town gets is Geraldine Granger, a non-traditional, chocolate loving, rock n' roll playing vicar. That is not what gets the citizens of Dibley in a uproar though. It's because she is a woman. Still, that doesn't stop Geraldine from proving her worthiness to the village. After time, the villagers (with the exception of influential David Horton) accept Geraldine as The Vicar of Dibley. I know the show wasn't as popular with the Brits, but I loved it. If you haven't seen it, try to catch it, sometimes BBC has it on or

My husband and I have joked since I was told I was coming here to Wadley that I was the Vicar of Wadley. Of course I am not Anglican; I am non-traditional, choclate loving, rock n' roll playing female minister. Wadely is itself a conservative small town church, I will not say it is eccentric, although there might be some outsiders that say it is. I am their first female minister, and have been for 5 years, a lot longer than the men ever stayed. I love it here, I love the people, I love the church, the kids, the quietness, the list could go on. And thats after living in Big towns and cities like Huntsville, Columbus, Birmingham, Louisville, and Tallahassee. So there you have it!

No comments: