Over at revgalbogpals, Sally is in charge of the Friday Five.
So this what she introduced: Our Circuit (Methodist) is having a "Gifts and talents day" tomorrow- we have a minister visiting from another circuit who has modified the Myers Briggs personality test and added a few things of his own to run a day where we get to look at ourselves in the light of giftings and of the whole church. The idea is to encourage everyone with the news that there is room for you in the ministry of the church- and perhaps to discover where that ministry might be.....It should be an interesting day, and one where I hope people will leave feeling encouraged and challenged...
So with gifts and talents in mind here is todays Friday 5;
1. Personality tests; love them or hate them? Depends on which one it is.
2. Would you describe yourself as practical, creative, intellectual or a mixture ? How about none of the above....(But its early here, and I was up late last night.)
3. It is said that everyone has their 15 minutes of fame; have you had your yet? If so what was it, if not dream away what would you like it to be? No, and I probably never will. (Aren't I the cynic this morning.) But if you want to know what my dream was as a kid, here it is; I wanted to be the First Woman President of the US. And frankly I think I might be just a hair better than someone else I know that is running, well at least a little more ethical at this point, but then I have never been in politics and all that means. So now you know.
4. If you were given a 2 year sabatical ( oh the dream of it) to create something would it be music, literature, art.....something completely different...share your dream with us... You know, I had a Seminary Prof, that took his sabbatical and made pizzas at Pizza Hut. I have never forgotten that, and often thought that would be an interesting sabbatical to take. But if I were to take one to create something, I might write and maybe paint some, not quite sure.
5. Describe a talent you would like to develop, but that seems completely beyond you. Are we talking about talents like music, art, sports or what? Maybe acting, they seem to be making the megabucks these days. It seems so unnatural to me.
Bonus question: Back to the church- what does every member ministry mean to you? Is it truly possible to encourage/ implement? Every member in ministry is one of those Wesley, Discipline, purposes of the church. It is something that we have gotten far far away from. I think it is part of making disciples in the church, "it is the fruits by which we know them." Yes, I think it is possible to encourage, and to implement.
Bonus, Bonus: What is the most recent Personality test you have taken? Most recently I attended a workshop called, Ministry from your Strengths. In order to take the seminar, I had to read the book from Gallup Press, part of the Gallup Corp. and take the online test. Only my book didn't come in time, and I took the wrong test online. I have since taken the right test. If you ever want to introduce a different way of looking at your gifts and graces, for your members, this is a good way. I had worked it out for the person to come offer the workshop here in our district, and no one signed up. In the meantime, the whole cabinet took it, and so now the DS is pushing it, so we are going to reoffer it in the fall. Now go find your strengths and introduce them to your congregation. Amazon has the book too, and most of their books. If you want to know more let me know.