Tuesday, March 09, 2010

communciation, connecting, communion

Everyone Communicates, Few Connect is the title of John Maxwell's latest book. It is one of his leadership book in which he takes readers through the Five Connecting Principles and the Five Connecting Practices of top-notch achievers. He believes that a person's ability to create change and results in an organization - be it a company, church, nonprofit, or even a family - is directly tied to the ability to connect.

One thing I would say is this, everbody does not communicate and thus not everybody connects. So many are busy talking that they don't listen, really listen, nor do they try to connect with others. Communication involves two people or more talking and listening. I sometimes have the same problem; I will be talking or thinking of the next thing I want to say, or try to think of way I can get my point across; and then I have not listened and I have not connected with the others. It takes work to do this. Even if you are considered a "people" person or an extrovert, you may miss the person or the communication.

And don't we do this with God, we are so busy getting our laundry list across we forget to connect with God or even really communicate with God, listen to God. What would it look like if we did connect with God? What would it take on our part to do so? I know I am trying to spend at least 10 minutes three times a week being quite and listening to God. It is hard to still my mind, and be quiet for just those ten minutes. And it makes it hard to listen to God.

I wonder if in communion, there is an act of communication that takes place that connects us with God. We receive, we open ourselves to God's grace. God's Holy Spirit is called upon and at work in the bread and wine, and in us. No wonder John Wesley like to take regular communion.

Perhaps as we learn to connect with God, we learn to connect with ourselves and others as well.

No comments: